Today, Mr. Harbeck assigned us 7 questions for multiplying fractions. We had partners, and we had to create a post explaining our answers.
6. One week, Kristi worked 3 days at a department store for 3 1/2 hours each day. She was paid $9/hour.
a) How many hours did Kristi work that week? Show your thinking.
To get the answer, multiply how many days she worked by how many hours she worked each day.
Kristi worked 10 1/2 hours in that week.
b) How much did Kristi earn that week?
Kristi earned $94.50 that week.
7. Jupiter completes about 2 2/5 rotations every 24 hours (an Earth day). How many rotations does Jupiter complete in one week? Show your thinking.
To get the answer, you multiply the number of rotations Jupiter completes every 24 hours by the number of days in a week.
Jupiter completes 16 4/5 rotations in one Earth week.
8. A sailboat is sailing at 8 1/2 km/h. If the weather conditions and the current do not change, how far will the sailboat travel in 1 1/3 h? Show your thinking.
To get the answer, you multiply the amount of speed its going a km per hour by the amount of times to been travelling.
The boat will travel 11 1/3 km in 1 1/3 hours.
9. The distance to Grandma's house is 4/5 of the distance to Uncle Glen's house. If Uncle Glen's house is 3 1/2 hours away, how long will it take to get to Grandma's house if you travel at the same speed?
To get the answer, multiply the distance to Uncle Glen's house to Grandma's by how many hours away Uncle Glen's house is.
It will take 2 hours and 48 minutes to get to Grandma's house.
10. It takes 3/5 of a tank of gas to get to work and back each day. How much gas is used over 5 work days? Show your thinking.
To get the answer, you multiply the the fraction of how many gas is used in one day by how many days it is used for.
3 tanks of gas are used over 5 work days.
11. Owen is 2 1/4 times as old as Robin. When Robin celebrates his 8th birthday, how old will Owen be?
To get the answer, you have to multiply Robin's age (8/1) by how much older Owen is than Robin (2 1/4).
On Robin's 8th birthday, Owen will be 18 years old.
12. The karate club is arranging a grading for its members. It takes 3 1/4 hours to test a group of 4 candidates. How long will the club need the gym in order to process 3 groups of 4 candidates each?
To get the answer, you have to multiply how many hours it takes to test a group of 4 by how many groups are there in total.
It will take the club 9 hours and 45 minutes to process 3 groups of 4 candidates.