Scribe Post for February 4, 2009

Wednesday, February 4, 2009
The Distributive Property and Combining Like Terms
Hello, there! In math class today we reviewed our homework about the distributive property and combining like terms, and looked at transposing. But in this scribe I'll be explaining the distibutive property and combining like terms, quite obviously. In our purple book, page 50 has questions dealing with the distributive property and combining like terms. I'll be explaining a few of them by walking through it. I hope it helps, and enjoy! ;)

eg. 4a - 2(a + 9) = 6
As soon as you identify what the question is, you multiply the number that is touching the brackets. This is using the distributive property. What's left you just bring down. So you would multiply 2 by a and 9 giving you 2a and +18.




Once you're up to this point, you would combine like terms.
Now your question is simplified to a two step equation. Add the opposite, and balance out by adding 18 on both sides.
Now, you are left with a lovely one step equation. Simply use opposite inverse to isolate the variable. Since 2a is a multiplying question (because 2 is being multiplied by a) you would divide 2a by 2 to isolate a. To balance out, you multiply 12 by 2 as well.



So that is how you would solve for your variable! But you aren't done yet. You need to verify.

So that's how you would solve a distributive property and combining like terms question! If for some reason I haven't explained something enough, or perhaps you don't understand something above, please feel free to comment!

4 comments:

  1. NickyD905 said...

    Great scribe Linda! Now, because it's so great I'm going to be picky about things to fix. First of all, there's a somewhat large white space at the bottom of your post. It could've just been Blogger but...it's still good to fix it. Secondly, I think you should put an exclamation mark after "Hello there!" because it would make you sound much happier...or...at least I think so... Thirdly (is that even a word?), you should probably mention that you multiply (a+9) by -2 just so that it's clearer. Other than those minor things (and I mean REALLY minor) you're scribe was fantastic!

    February 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

  2. MY BLOG AND ME said...

    Excellent scribe as always! As Nicky mentioned there is a big space at the bottom but maybe it is the blogger. It seems like there aren't any mistakes/ errors. You explained everything really well and I like your use of color and pictures! Your examples are really clear and I really got what you are talking about. Keep up the good work!
    -Karebear!

    February 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

  3. Kevin 9-02 said...

    Hey Linda! That was a great scribe but I think there was one problem on the last question. Where it said 4a-2(a+9)=6, I think you were suppose to include the negative sign when you did distributive property. So it would be 4a-2a-18=6. Then 2a-18=6. Then 2a-18+18=6+18. Then.. 2a=24.
    Okay then.. 2a/2=24/2. Leaving you with a=12. Then when you verify it should be like..
    4a-2(a+9)=6
    4(12)-2(12+9)=6
    48-24-18=6
    48-42=6
    6=6

    Yah, I think that's the only major mistake I spotted. I could be wrong, but I'm too lazy to check right now because I have other homework to do! Other than that, awesome scribe!

    February 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

  4. linda 9-05 said...

    Thanks, I made the corrections.

    February 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment