- Transport letters/variables to the left and numbers/constants to the right.
- After moving the letters/variables to the left, you have to cancel one of the variables by using the opposite to cancel it.
- Then you have to balance it by doing the same thing on the other variable.
- After that, you do the same thing for the numbers/constants.
- After, you solve it to get a one step equation.
* Remember that when you verify it, you use the original question.
Mr. Harbeck said that this is grade 9 stuff but we have to learn it so we will be ready for grade 9. This won't be part of the exam but there will be quizzes.
Homework: Page 52 in purple booklet and write 3 examples of combining like terms at the top and 3 examples of transposing algebra at the bottom of multi-colored booklet ( the very last page, color green).
I did the first 2 questions from page 52 in the purple booklet:
S.) Is the example on top.
A.) 8y - 3 = 2y + 15
-2y + 3 = -2y + 3
6y = 18
6y/6 = 18/6
y = 3
8y -3 = 2y + 15
8(3) -3 = 2(3) + 15
24 - 3 = 15 + 6
21 = 21