Pay it forward

Thursday, January 1, 2009
Before the grade 8 students were sent off to go have fun over the holidays, we watched a movie. And this wasn't a movie like "Bolt" or "Twilight." This movie was called "Pay it Forward." You may think whatever, why would you watch that? That was what i was thinking when Mr Harbeck turned the movie on. But as we got into the movie, it really did touch me. The movie was about a boy, he was about our age. He got to class one day and his teacher gave the whole class an assignment, they were to do acts of kindness for people without expecting anything else in return. I really got into The movie got me thinking how we have it so good, compared to some other people out there. It got me thinking about how ungrateful I am for the stuff I have. After watching that movie, it hit me, that we are lucky just to have food into our belly's for the holiday season. So after watching the movie, we were given an assignment. We were to "Pay it forward". The grade 8 Sargent Park students were supposed to make a difference in someone's life this holiday season. We were to do random acts of kindness, just because.


How I payed it forward: My first act of kindness was when I babysat my older cousin's kid, Anthony. I watched him for the whole day, so that my cousin could go out to the gym and relax. I had a fun time watching him. It was fun watching him, even though I do babysit Anthony often. When my cousin came back to the house to pick up Anthony , she was offering me money for watching him, but i told her it was fine and just to try and make a difference in another persons life. She just laughed at me and said, " Ill try make a difference but, it isn't as easy as you think it is." But I told her to try her best because after all it is the holiday season.









How I payed it forward
: So my second act of kindness was to shovel in front of my neighbours garage. I felt better about it knowing that, I was helping out because, my neighbour has had 2 heart attacks and is an older man. So my neighbour cannot shovel. I shoveled for about an hour to make sure that in front of their garage was clean and had no snow in front so that the car could get out of the garage. I left a note in their mailbox telling them about the assignment. I left the note anonymous, so that they would not have to feel like they would need to pay me back in anyway.














How I payed it forward
: My third act of kindness was also a babysitting act. I babysat my little cousin, Sydney. I babysat her for about a couple of hours. While my auntie took a couple " Me hours" sleeping and relaxing. Together, Sydney and I watched "Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus". It was a real fun act of kindness, and I really enjoined spending time with my little cousin and playing with her. I am glad I got to also put a smile on my aunties face, because she got a couple hours of quite while Sydney was being taken care of.

2 comments:

  1. camille817 said...

    GOOD JOB!
    Its awesome that you payed it forward Sharmayne! Keep up the good work!

    January 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

  2. MY BLOG AND ME said...

    GOOD JOB SHAR!
    your cousin is so cute! and you did awesome for 'pay it forward'

    -Ren Ren(:

    January 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment